Monday, September 27, 2010

Masking for a Vintage Look

A vintage look with some kind of current touch. That's what it seemed the set of photos I brought back from a show of vintage trailers needed. I'd taken them with the 1958 Exakta 35mm SLR of a couple of posts ago, equipped with a vintage German 24mm wide-angle lens.

It was fun chatting with folks as I walked around, peeking into the trailers from the 50's through the 70's, many with the original wood-paneled interiors that reminded me of the folks 1950's Mainliner that took our family on a memorable cross-country trip in 1956. Not only the old trailers, but also my camera sparked conversation.

The photographs were taken on 100 ISO color negative film, which I scanned, then pulled into Lightroom. After cropping I pumped up the color with the vibrance control, then opened a copy for editing in Photoshop CS4. Back in Lightroom, I made a sepia version that was layered in CS4 over the color version. The next steps were to paint black on the mask to let selected colored areas of the base image to show, added a black border, then saved it back into Lightroom where I did some vignetting and called it done.


More of these photos here

2 comments:

  1. Tony, Why so many trips back and forth between LR and PS? The non destructive aspect of LR will only take you so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cool thing about LR is that it allows creation of versions of the original, without altering the latter. In this case I took a couple of those versions (the sepia one and the pumped up color one) and layered them in PS, something you can't do (yet) in LR. The fun part began when I painted on the sepia mask to let the bright color come through - like a kid with a felt marker. Then that gets saved back in the LR catalog, where I still have the original, the two LR versions, and the final PS file.

    ReplyDelete